25 Green Beauty Tips
Photo: Britt Reints
I’m all for reducing my negative impact on the environment and using as few chemicals as possible on my body, but I’m also a big fan of looking and feeling good. Thankfully, the Internet is full of recipes for homemade, all-natural beauty products as well as information about how to be pretty and eco-friendly.
1. If your lifestyle allows, shower every other day.
2. Wash your face with oil instead of harsh cleansers.
3. Make your own shampoo.
4. Use an apple cider vinegar rinse instead of commercial conditioners.
Photo: Moyan Brenn/Creative Commons
5. Get rid of blackheads with honey and lemon.
6. Exfoliate your skin with a homemade scrub made from sugar and olive oil.
7. Hang your clothes out to dry (use an indoor clothesline to do it year round.)
8. Extend the life of your clothes and reduce your laundry load by wearing clothes multiple times between washings.
9. Buy clothes and accessories secondhand.
Photo: Karina/Creative Commons
11. Apply a pumpkin foot scrub to dry heels.
12. Tighten pores with a skin toner made from fresh vegetables.
14. Use a water-based nail polish for manicures and pedicures.
Photo: Ashley Sturgis/Creative Commons
15. Make your own all-natural lipstick.
16. Use a dab of tea tree oil to get rid of blemishes.
17. Use coconut oil instead of commercial lotions.
18. Make a teeth whitening paste from baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and peppermint flavor.
Photo: James Bowe/Creative Commons
19. Combine olive oil and eggs to make a mask for dry hair.
20. Keep lips moisturized with DIY lip balm made from shea butter, beeswax and almond oil.
21. Apply an all-natural, biodegradable sunscreen every day.
22. Rent instead of buy that dress you’ll only wear once for a special occasion.
Photo: Eamonn O Muiri/Creative Commons
23. Use aloe vera gel (straight from the plant if possible) on your skin to moisturize and reduce redness.
24. Add a red, black or brown tint to your hair with henna.
25. For all-natural highlights, rub lemon oil and chamomile tea into your hair before spending a day in the sun (yep, that still works!)
Top Articles on Environmentally Friendly Beauty
Why You Should Stop Washing Your Face
10 Quick and Easy Natural Beauty Treatments You Can Do During Naptime
10 Beauty Products to Avoid During Pregnancy
- Michelle Duggar on Celebrating Birthdays for 19 Kids
- The Few Things I Know for Sure about Parenting
- 5 Fall Pinterest Tips to Inspire You
- 5 Lessons of Success I Learned by Chasing My Dream
- Measles Mounts a Comeback -- Are Your Kids at Risk?