15 Brilliant Cleaning and Organizing Tips for New Moms
The yellow rubber ducky perched on the tub signifies there's a baby in the house. But our duck has come down with a case of black mold - on the inside. Who would have thought I'd be brainstorming ways to deal with duck mold? In my search, I came across all kinds of handy tips for cleaning and organizing that I never would have thought of.
Turns out, cleaning mold out of a rubber ducky is as simple as soaking it in vinegar according to laJolla mom. I swear, vinegar is nature's secret cleaner. But even more brilliant is this mom's advice to glue gun the hole in Mr. Duck, and all bath toys, shut so you never even have to worry about it. That's what I'm talking about, common sense solutions to making life easier and cleaner.
One of my very favorite tips I ran across is to bake cupcakes directly into ice-cream cones. I remember my own mom doing this for my kindergarden birthday party at school. I was a rock star that day. People (and by people, I mean me) are still talking about it.
Here are a few of the other tips I ran across and know will come in handy in the new year:
- Rubbing a walnut over scratches in your furniture will disguise dings and scrapes.
- Remove crayon masterpieces from your TV or computer screen with WD40.
- Overhaul your linen cupboard, store bed linen sets inside one of their own pillowcases and there will be no more hunting through piles for a match.
- Add baby powder to your beach bag to help get sand off your skin easily.
- Find tiny lost items like earrings by putting a stocking over the vacuum hose.
- Store shoes inside shower caps to stop dirty soles rubbing on your clothes. And you can find them in just about every hotel.
- Attach a Velcro strip to the wall to store soft toys.
- Use wire to make a space to store gift wrap rolls against the ceiling, rather than cluttering up the floor.
- Use magnetic strips to store bobby pins, tweezers and clippers, behind a vanity door.
- A muffin pan makes a great craft caddy. Add cups if you need more height to store taller items, and put a magnet in the bottom of the cups to make them tip-resistant.
- Install a tension rod to hang your spray bottles underneath a sink or above a washer/dryer.
- Bread tags make the perfect cord labels.
- Use egg cartons to separate and store your Christmas decorations.
Other Articles on Cleaning & Organization
How Many Toxins Are Hiding in Your Home?
How the Ultimate Closet Clean-Out Will Rejuvenate Your Wardrobe
19 Ways to Beat Clutter Forever
- Michelle Tells All: Her First Date with Jim Bob
- The Few Things I Know for Sure about Parenting
- 5 Fall Pinterest Tips to Inspire You
- 5 Lessons of Success I Learned by Chasing My Dream
- Measles Mounts a Comeback -- Are Your Kids at Risk?