20 Fun Games, Activities, and Ideas for a Snow Day
Photo: David Goehring / Creative Commons
Snowed in? Awesome. It's a perfect day to run around outside like a maniac, come inside to warm up, and then head back out to do it all over again. Or you can skip the outside part if you consider yourself an indoor cat. With this list of 20 fun things to do on a snow day, you'll never get bored or experience a dreaded case of cabin fever.
2. Build a snowman or a snow family.
3. Shovel a neighbor's walkway.
4. Make snow angels.
5. Go sledding.
6. Build a fort or igloo. Try using a snow block mold for precision construction.
7. Tie a rope to a sled and play snow dog by taking turns pulling each other along. (Great exercise!)
8. Spread bird seed for the birds and squirrels.
9. Look for animal tracks in the snow.
10. Mix food coloring with water outside in a watering can or spray bottle. Draw, write and decorate the snow.
11. Make fancy hot chocolates with marshmallows, whipped cream and sprinkles.
12. Bake cookies, muffins, bread or a cake.
13. Put together a big or challenging puzzle.
14. Pretend you're newscasters reporting on the storm in outrageous and dramatic fashion. Record each others' broadcasts and then play them back. Vote on which ridiculous story would get the best ratings.
15. Build a fort out of chairs and blankets. Put pillows inside and hide out.
16. Have an indoor picnic or beach party. Turn up the heat a little, put on shorts and t-shirts, and spread out a blanket or towels in the living room. Hula!
17. Make snow cones.
18. Try one of these 20 last-minute crafts for kids.
19. Pretended you are stranded during the blizzard of the century. Devise ways to make contact with the outside world, like using flashlights to flash Morse code. Use walkie-talkies (real or pretend) to communicate from different areas of the house.
20. Play games. Here are 10 fun family board games that are new to parents. You can also download free games to play on your computer. Try classic games like Freeze Tag or Simon Says to help teach kids the important life skill of impulse control.
Top Articles on Things to Do
99 Ways to Use This Winter to Have a Blast, Comfort Yourself, or Take Control of Your Life
137 Ways to Pamper Yourself, Lift Your Spirits, or Recharge Your Life
20 Last-Minute Crafts for Kids for Rainy Days
- Michelle Tells All: Her First Date with Jim Bob
- The Few Things I Know for Sure about Parenting
- 5 Fall Pinterest Tips to Inspire You
- 5 Lessons of Success I Learned by Chasing My Dream
- Measles Mounts a Comeback -- Are Your Kids at Risk?