Unbelievable for Brunch: Nutella Bread Pudding
Photos: Adam and Joanne Gallagher of Inspired Taste
Breakfast or dessert? We’re not sure, but either way it’s delicious. Here’s how we do it.
Start by slicing 3 croissants in half, then generously slather Nutella onto one side. Put the halves back together to make a sandwich.
If you dare to continue, cut the Nutella sandwiches into smaller pieces -- about 2 inches in size.
Toss the sandwich pieces into a small baking dish along with a handful of pecan halves. (You could substitute with walnuts, hazelnuts or not add nuts at all, we just enjoyed the extra crunch.)
Add two eggs and cream to a bowl; this is the start of the custard base. For depth of flavor, add some vanilla extract. Then, some salt -- salt is a wonderful thing when making sweeter recipes, especially those with chocolate. Just as salt helps with enhancing flavor in savory dishes, it helps here, too. Finally, add some sugar and whisk everything together.
Pour the custard over the sandwich pieces and nuts. Then push everything down, smooshing the croissants slightly to help them absorb that custard even more.
Cover the bread pudding with foil and bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the foile and bake an additional 10 minutes or so until golden brown on top, the bread pudding has risen slightly, and the liquid has all been absorbed.
Serve with ice cream -- or just as is out of the baking dish with two spoons!
Nutella Bread Pudding
By Adam and Joanne Gallagher
For Steamy Kitchen and Inspired Taste
This recipe will generously serve two people; however, for four servings, doubling the recipe works nicely. If you don't have croissants on hand, brioche, Challah and even French bread or a baguette will work well. Try to use bread that's 1-2 days old when making bread pudding; older bread will absorb more of the custard.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Serving Size: serves 2-3
• 3 croissants (preferably 1-2 days old)
• 3/4 cup Nutella
• 1/4 cup pecan halves
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Slice each croissant in half lengthwise, then slather one side with Nutella. Put the halves back together to make sandwiches and cut into 2-inch pieces.
3. Add sandwich pieces and pecans to a small baking dish (suggested: 10-inch x 5-inch loaf pan).
4. To make the custard, add eggs, cream, vanilla extract, salt and sugar to a medium bowl and whisk until combined.
5. Pour the custard over the sandwich pieces, then gently push down the bread so the custard starts to absorb it.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and continue to bake uncovered for about 10 minutes until the bread pudding is golden brown, has risen slightly and the liquid has bee completely absorbed.
Top Articles on Sweet Treats
Berry Citrus Trifle with Vanilla Cream
- Celebrating Three Generations of Mothers in the Duggar Family
- 94 Fun, New, and Foolproof Ways to Entertain the Kids this Summer
- Pinterest Picks: Why Didn't I Think of That?
- 5 Surprising Secrets of People Who Have Extraordinary Willpower
- Reducing Racism with a Rubber Hand