Tomato Braised Cauliflower
I've been cooking quite a bit of Greek inspired recipes, mainly because I don't have a good Greek restaurant near my home and the restaurants that are within driving distance are just so-so.
So that just leaves me with a cookbook, How to Roast a Lamb by Michael Psilakis and a fantastic food blog written by my friend, Peter Minaki of Kalofagas. I'll talk more about Peter's Greek recipe blog another time (and promise to share a recipe from him soon).
A couple of weeks ago, I made the Tomato-Braised Cauliflower recipe from Psilakis' cookbook. Loved the warming flavor that the cinnamon added but simplified the recipe for you.
Next time, I would add a whole, large tomato, cut into wedges, into the pot to justify the name of the recipe. If you do add the fresh tomato, cut back the amount of red wine vinegar.
Tomato-Braised Cauliflower Recipe
recipe adapted from How to Roast a Lamb by Michael Psilakis
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets and dried very well
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
large pinch ground cinnamon
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
2 dried bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, mustard, water and vinegar. Set aside.
2. In a large heavy pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil until very hot. Add the cauliflower florets and the onion. Season with salt and pepper and dust with cinnamon. Toss and saute until the onions are nicely golden and softened, about 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomato paste mixture (see step 1) and add the cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and thyme. Partially cover, turn the heat to medium-low and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 10-15 minutes, depending on how small you cut your florets.
- Michelle Tells All: Her First Date with Jim Bob
- The Few Things I Know for Sure about Parenting
- 5 Fall Pinterest Tips to Inspire You
- 5 Lessons of Success I Learned by Chasing My Dream
- Measles Mounts a Comeback -- Are Your Kids at Risk?