When making salmon burgers, the most important part is getting the patties compact. Salmon (and any other seafood) burgers tend to fall apart on the BBQ grill (you don't want to have your precious fish fall through the grates!) so either pan fry on your stove top or use my method of forming patties.
Serve with spicy mustard, fresh tomato slices and cold crisp lettuce.
Makes 6 salmon burgers
1 large shallot, peeled and quartered
1 1/2 pounds salmon filet, skinned and cut into 2" chunks
1 teaspoon kosher/sea salt (1/2 teaspoon regular salt)
zest of lemon
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
couple sprigs of fresh parsley
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (or regular bread crumbs
1 tablespoon cooking oil
6 hamburger buns
lettuce, mustard, tomato and other burger accompaniments
1. In a food processor, add the shallot and pulse until the shallot is finely chopped. Add the salmon chunks, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley and egg. Process for 30-seconds to 1 minute until the salmon is finely chopped and mixture seems to stick together.
2. Spoon the mixture into a large bowl, stir in panko bread crumbs by hand. Divide the salmon into 6 equal parts and form into patties, about 3/4" thick.
3. To cook the patties:
FRYING PAN: heat a large frying pan over medium heat. When hot, swirl in the cooking oil. Add the patties to the pan, but do not crowd (you may have to do this in separate batches). Cook for 2 minutes. Do not touch the patties while they are forming this crust. Flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes. Cover the pan and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
BBQ GRILL: pre-heat your grill. Place patties on the grill and cook for 2 minutes - do not move the patties until 2 minutes is up! Flip and cook an additional 2 minutes. Depending on how hot your grill is, the patties may be done after this. If not, you can cover lid, lower heat and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
4. Serve with the buns and burger accompaniments.
- Michelle Duggar on Giving Thanks
- The Few Things I Know for Sure about Parenting
- 5 Fall Pinterest Tips to Inspire You
- 5 Lessons of Success I Learned by Chasing My Dream
- Measles Mounts a Comeback -- Are Your Kids at Risk?