Just in Time for Halloween! Pumpkin Spiced Rice Crispy Treats
Photo: Kelly Rossiter
Apparently, today is National Pumpkin Day, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share a seasonal twist on an old favourite. Rice Krispie treats are one of those things that never go out of style. Kids love them, and adults love them because they remember loving them as a kid.
As just about every parent knows, these are really as easy to make as anything you can do in the kitchen. If you are having a Halloween party this weekend, add these pumpkin spiced treats to the dessert table. They have just enough of a pumpkin flavour to make them a bit different, but you'll still recognize the familiar childhood treat. I used my homemade pumpkin butter, which worked beautifully.
This recipe is from the website The Way to his Heart.
Pumpkin Spiced Rice Krispie Treats
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
12 oz mini marshmallows ( about 1 10oz. bag plus 1 cup)
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
6 cups crispy rice cereal
1. Butter a 9×13″ baking dish.
2. Place the pumpkin puree on a few paper towels and squeeze out the moisture until it becomes very dry.
3. In a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the pumpkin puree and continue to cook until it is warmed through. Fold in 10 ounces of the marshmallows, stirring frequently until almost completely melted. Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, and salt. Remove from heat.
4. All the marshmallow mixture to cool for 10 minutes and then fold in the remaining 2 ounces of marshmallows. Add the crispy rice cereal and stir, using a silicone spatula, until combined.
5. Press the mixture into the greased baking dish. Let sit for 30 minutes before cutting.
- Michelle Duggar on Healthy Changes for the Whole Family
- Not All Sunscreens are What They Seem
- Create a Summer Bliss List
- 5 Surprising Secrets of People Who Have Extraordinary Willpower
- Reducing Racism with a Rubber Hand