Don't Throw Out Those Pumpkin Seeds! A Recipe for Curried Pumpkin Seeds
Photo: Kelly Rossiter
It's all about pumpkins at my house this week. I'm taking advantage of the cheap pie pumpkins in the grocery stores this week, because I know from experience that the second Halloween is over, pumpkins will disappear from grocery shelves. The last time I made pumpkin butter I was too lazy to clean the seeds and my daughter chastised me, so this time I roasted them. I've already promised her the seeds from my Halloween pumpkin for her to make her own treats with.
Getting the seeds out of the pumpkin is kind of goopy to do, so the kids might actually like to get involved. Cut the pie pumpkins in half and scoop out the seeds. Wash them under cold water, removing any of the pumpkin matter. Lay them out in a single layer and allow them to completely dry before making this recipe. This is an extremely easy recipe to make, and even your littlest cook can help out.
The cayenne pepper adds a bit of kick to these curried seeds, so if you think it might be too hot for little mouths, just leave it out.
This recipe is from The Kitchn, where there are five more suggestions for roasting pumpkin seeds.
Curried Pumpkin Seeds
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
12 ounces hulled pumpkin seeds (about 2 1/2 cups)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment; spray with nonstick spray. Whisk egg white, lime juice, and oil in large bowl. Add next 4 ingredients; whisk. Add pumpkin seeds; toss. Transfer to baking sheet, spreading evenly.
3. Bake until toasted and fragrant, stirring often, about 24 minutes. Cool on sheet. Store toasted seeds airtight at room temperature.
- Michelle Duggar on Celebrating Birthdays for 19 Kids
- The Few Things I Know for Sure about Parenting
- 5 Fall Pinterest Tips to Inspire You
- 5 Lessons of Success I Learned by Chasing My Dream
- Measles Mounts a Comeback -- Are Your Kids at Risk?